INE dismisses Javier Duarte

Under Reserve features fact-checked news written by journalists and contributors to EL UNIVERSAL

Javier Duarte - Former Governor of Veracruz - File photo/EL UNIVERSAL

23/05/2018 10:11

|

OPINION: Under Reserve




Leer en español

INE dismisses Javier Duarte

Javier Duarte, former Governor of Veracruz, takes time in prison to defend his “good name.” Last week, according to our sources, filed a complaint before the National Electoral Institute (INE) against the presidential candidate of the “For Mexico to the Front” coalition against the member of the conservative National Action Party (PAN) Ricardo Anaya, for promoting a “negative campaign” against Duarte, whom he mentioned during the first presidential debate of April 22. But, the electoral councilors rejected Duarte's complaint. And, of course, we've been told that in the INE they are very taken aback that Duarte is so up-to-date with the presidential debates and was able to file complaints against those who mentioned him on national television. Doesn't he have more urgent matters to address?

Fund of the PRD disappears from the Senate

A lawsuit of former employees of the left Democratic Revolution Party (PRD) is on the horizon for the Senate. We're told that a labor dispute is coming against the Chamber, to be filed by former employees of the PRD legislators who left the party to join the left National Regeneration Party (MORENA). Despite many began their employment in September 2012, the PRD is refusing to provide them their corresponding severance pay despite they had a fund for these kinds of contingencies which “disappeared” during the administration of Dolores Padierna when she was in charge of the Parliament coordination. We're told that the PRD administrator, José Antonio Magallanes – close to the clan of the "Chuchos" – has pointed out that the employees haven't the faintest right to reclaim because there are quarterly contracts which do not consider benefits. What a hurdle. Where will the bomb detonate at the end of the legislature?

Mrs. Lety makes Meade blush


What his political rivals failed to do during the second presidential debate Mrs. Lety managed to accomplish with the presidential candidate of the center-right Institutional Revolutionary Party (PRI) José Antonio Meade, who was on tour this Tuesday in the Lagoon Region and the Gómez Palacio community, in Durango. Mrs. Lety, a member of the National Farmers' Confederation (CNC), grabbed the microphone and listed a series of requests and needs on behalf of the farmers. And she took the opportuinty to tell the following to the candidate: “I love you Pepe. The first time I saw you was at the Farmers' House, and I thought you were a big man, and I like 'em big and said to myself: 'yes, this one's from here'.” The woman's compliment made Meade nervous and with a red face he asked an applause for her.

Mezcal Commission at CONAGO

The taste for mezcal has grown within the national market. With this data, the National Conference of Governors (CONAGO) approved the creation of the Mezcal Commission upon the request of Oaxaca Governor Alejandro Murat. We're told that in Oaxaca over 1.2 billion liters of bottled mezcal are produced, which represent 65% in the national market. Other states – Durango, Guanajuato, Guerrero, Michoacán, Puebla, San Luis Potosí, Tamaulipas, and Zacatecas – contribute to the other 35% of the production. Mr. Alejandro will be in charge of the commission, in addition to his tasks in the EducationDepartment of the CONAGO. The Governors, according to our sources, will provide a boost to the industry.

am





Ver articulo completo